Wednesday, December 14, 2005

U.S. Postage Stamps

Let's talk about stamps, shall we? On January 8th, the price of sending a first class letter is going to rise by 2 cents. Now, in order to use the $0.37 stamps at my house, I'll have to buy $0.02 stamps to add to my letters (not that I really send letters all that frequently). All I have to say is, WTF?
Here's how I look at it. I buy stamps from the Postal Service in, say, January 2005. They take my money, and keep my money. I don't send a letter after buying the stamps. Therefore, I have effectively loaned the government money. Now, in 2006*, I want to send a letter. Suddenly, the government wants two more cents to send it. What? I've loaned you money for a year, and you're ostensibly earning interest on it, and all I want is the right to send a package at some point in the future. But now you're telling me that I owe you more money? You've been earning interest on the money that I already gave you, and I haven't utilized the services that I purchased with my 37 frigging cents! I was basically buying an option on a future transaction, and all of a sudden you're changing the contract after the exchange has taken place. That is total B.S., and not at all surprising from our government. Anyone else have any experiences like this?

* Assumes that we're living in the future. Flying cars, food pellets, the works. Don't you wish you were here?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home