Thursday, March 16, 2006

When Typing is Better Than Speaking

I realized recently that we've come to a point in modern society where sometimes it's easier to type something than say it face-to-face. I'm not just referring to people's comfort level (I'm definitely a writer versus a speaker, myself). I'm talking about phrases that have become common in email or messaging that just don't translate to human speech.

The specific example of a typed (not spoken) phrase I'm citing is WTF. You know what it means. The interesting thing, though, is that it's not one of those phrases that works if you say it out loud. "A.S.A.P." works (although some people say "aysap"). Saying "W.T.F." just sounds stupid, though. The other day someone said it to me: "I mean, I was like, double-u tee eff?" Whoa. That just takes all the fun out of it. WTF is more than a combination of three letters, and works best in print, where your mind is free to say it - nay, scream it - out loud.

(Average Jane oughta love this)

1 Comments:

At 9:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree! WTF is okay for writing, but if you're going to say it out loud, you have to commit to the profanity.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home