Monday, March 20, 2006

Back That Disc Up

My new mission is to come up with some kind of backup process to protect my files. I can't believe I haven't worried about this before, but I've never had a direct brush with a failed hard drive, so even though I know it could happen at any time, I have this devil-may-care attitude about my system. Recently, though, I've been thinking about doing it because all of my son's pictures reside in digital format, and if I lose those, we'll have almost no documentation of his first year.

Since that sounds like a bad plan, I've decided to be proactive. I think what I'll do is purchase a 200GB internal hard drive, since I've got room in my desktop tower for another internal drive. That way, I don't have another device to cram onto my desk, and the cost will be less. Then I need to get a backup utility, and a DVD-burner for periodic writing to a disc for very important files. Also, I need to bolster the RAM on my machine up to 1 GB (that's unrelated this project, though). Sheesh. All told, this project is going to cost about $400.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good backup utility that will support burning to DVD and CD?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home